Saturday, February 16, 2008

There is no word to describe the experience in India. I've tried to attach some sort of definition but I cannot. As we arrived at the Taj Mahal at sunrise I was overwhelmed and quietly took it all in. Surveying the lands I found myself in awe of how many people had made pilgrimages to this beautiful temple of love. After a week on the ship I am still comprehending the expanse of sensory information I acquired simply by walking down the street. I'm not sure if I will ever exactly digest this experience to make much sense because simply it cannot.

However, the battles of travel in India as certainly bonded us and although I am one who has never taken great stock in the meaning of Valentine's Day I must admit ship board life got pretty cute the other day! I awoke to find candy grams, sent by a number of friends around the boat, sitting outside my door. Upon opening my door my first interaction was a salute to cupid and a big hug. The day went off rather smoothly, laying out in the sun on the aft deck while doing homework, attending class and meals. However, dinner was the greatest. The crew prepared for us a fabulous dessert buffet, that I regretfully admit looked better than it tasted. It was still a lovely gesture. Then everyone went back to their cabins and gussied up for the evenings dance. Being our first excuse to dress up, everyone was pretty excited. They served cookies and milk as we danced the night away! It seemed to be exactly what we needed after feel defeated in India.

Yesterday we crossed the equator and were initiated into the Shellbacks society. If you are on a ship that crosses the equator there is a sort of hazing ritual. Although entirely optional I jumped to participate. For seaman aboard Naval ships this initiation is much more harsh generally consisting of a fish and tomato bath. For us, flower and water was poured over us followed by kissing a giant fish and then Neptune (our Port Programs director dressed up). The entire community got involved and it was a great celebration. The staff and crew dressed up as pirates and everyone played their part.

Today we land in the Seychelles. Outside my porthole window I can see beautiful beaches and jungle peaks. It is our two-day mid-semester break so all we have to do is relax and have fun!

3 comments:

Cameron said...

Britt
As I sit drinking a coffee and reading you blog you have given me the best sermon of all. your words fill me with all kinds of emotion and make me want to reach out to GOD. Yopu are a gift to me you are my eyes, ears, touch and smell on a trip that I will probily never take myself . Thank you for beibg you. I know you paper to Raggy will be great.

LOVE CAM

Cameron said...

Sorry I didn't edit prior to sending
Cam

Unknown said...

Hey, I just dropped by your blog while searching 4 th meaning of "Lord Gilpin's horses". I'm an Indian... and really loved reading about ur experiences in India. just thot of telling u that..! njoy and take care..