Thursday, April 17, 2008

Moving West

This is my first entry in a while and will probably be my last for this adventure. I'm sorry I did not write for Turkey but with finals and everything I just didn't have time to write it all down. For those of you who sent me birthday wishes yesterday, thank you. Everyone on the ship was wonderful and my roommate even surprised me with treats! I felt thoroughly loved and happily began my 22nd year of life. Unfortunately that means that today is April 17th and we have only about a day and half still on board. The ocean is waving us goodbye with some serious rocking, which seems only fitting. We have rounded southwest Europe and are heading in close to the French shore. Packing is driving everyone crazy and my room, which has remained rather clean throughout the journey, looks as if it exploded. I must admit I am at a loss. This experience use been unlike anything I could have dreamed. It has been challenging and exciting. It has required me to look at myself and the world in which I live and draw real conclusions. I could never regret choosing to come on TSS. It wasn't always easy but will remain as one of the best decisions I could have made. I am reminded of an e.e. cummings poem

i carry your heart with me by E. E. Cummings

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

From the people I have met to the places I have been each is part of me and never can they be separated. I don't think I will fully comprehend the significance of such an event until I return home, expecting to find everything the same when it will really all be different simply because I am different. Although every second I am growing more and more nostalgic I must admit that I am excited to go home, to see my family, and my friends. And I know it sounds corny but to tell the stories from this journey. It's been a beautiful voyage and like they keep telling us... the journey is only beginning. I feel quite privileged to be one of the 350 students in the world who knows what its like to be on TSS. Being part of the first year has been great and I know it will only improve from here. It's time for me to go. Tomorrow is my last day here on the ship and I want to be able to wake up and take it all in.

No comments: