Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sick in Spain

My days here in Spain have been predominantly spent wandering around the beautiful city in a stupor. Unfortunately, I have been sick for most of my time here, making it difficult for me to really get a feel for this culturally rich metropolis. We arrived on Good Friday to find most of the city quiet with the holiday weekend. After meandering down Las Ramblas, a main tourist street near the port, we set our sights on Segrada Familia and Park Guell. Bumming around Barcelona is extremely easy once you get the metro system down. It's quite clean and very quiet compared to Chicago's. Unfortunately, were not able to go up to the top of Segrada Familia, however, the unfinished cathedral certainly made its mark in my mind. In fact, I was having flashbacks of walking around the melted looking structure during my last visit seven years ago. It was amazing to see the difference between new and old and the efforts they were taking to restore and complete one of Gaudi's masterpieces. The outside reminded me of bones while the clean finished inside with bright stain glass windows was quite ethereal. My favorite part was seeing the comparison of the building's structure with the natural elements that inspired Gaudi.

No comments: